Nevis, West Indies
3 Bedrooms with Bathrooms En Suite (Sleeps 6)
Vervain Mill, which is loaded with charm, is located on the quieter southeast side of the island. This cleverly renovated house is part way up the hill towards Mt. Nevis so it always has cooling ocean breezes. Built during the days of grand sugar cane plantations, Vervain Mill was originally an 18th century working, wind-powered mill for pressing sugar cane. Its 1.75 acre grounds are landscaped with an assortment of palm trees, flamboyant trees, plumbago and ixora borders and a ficus hedge. Making the property even more delightful is the ruin of the original boiling house which stands next to the mill. Beside it is a swimming pool and a gingerbread gazebo. All have fantastic views over pasture-lands, up the mountain and out to sea. To the west and southwest from Vervain’s gently sloping hillside setting, one can see the island of Montserrat (35 miles away), with its active volcano, and on a very clear day, one can see the low islands of Antigua and Barbuda. Built on four floors of thick volcanic stone, this very private and romantic house is naturally cooled by its walls and almost constant tradewinds. Vervain Mill is one of the most special houses on the idylllic and history-steeped island of Nevis. Nearby is the equally charming Golden Rock hotel, a former plantation, which is fun for drinks or a meal.
- Large bedroom with a queen-size bed and bathroom en suite with a shower. French doors open to sloping lawns, the pool and ocean view.
- Large bedroom with twin beds and bathroom en suite with a shower. French doors open to sloping lawns, the pool and ocean view. Access to this room is via the terrace or the above bedroom.
- Spacious stone-walled room with a kitchen, indoor living/dining area with a table seating 6.
- The room opens onto a large wrap-around terrace with sailcloth awnings and an outdoor dining area with a sweeping view of the Atlantic and Mt. Nevis.
Airy bedroom with a queen-size bed, lovely arched windows and bathroom en suite with a shower
Two day beds, a writing desk and a terrace that overlooks the ocean and fields
Ceiling fans, high-speed Internet connection, iPod-friendly CD/tape player and stereo, DVD player, music and video libraries, TV, washer and dryer, screened windows and doors, safe, hairdryer, iron and board, linens and towels, telephone, ice maker, books, grill, beach chairs and towels
Maid service 5 days week
Chef. There is also a very nice lady who will cook and deliver West Indian dinners to the villa.
- The house may be rented with 1, 2 or 3 bedrooms
- Vervain is located in the village of Gingerland and, although the house and grounds are very private, guests will hear the sounds of children and other village activity.
- One may also see and hear sheep going across the 200 year old stone bridge to pasture in the morning and coming home in the afternoon.
- The nearest beach (Windward Beach) is a 5 minute drive
- Shops are 10 minutes and town is 5 minutes farther
- Children over 13 only
- No cable TV
- Smoking outdoors only