5 Bedrooms and 4.5 Bathrooms (Sleeps 10)
Every friend who’s stayed in this 18th century country estate all use one word to describe it: heaven. All agree the views from its lofty perch atop the rolling hills of Umbria are breathtaking and that its interiors are absolutely chic yet comfy. Even the food served has been called divine. But no one is able to say what they love most about this 100+ acre property that also has its own vineyard and a private golf course with a 250 square meter putting green in the front orchard and 6-10 short holes from tees in the vineyard and near the house.
Podere Calzone was painstakingly restored back to its 18th century beauty including the original stone arches, marble sinks, beams of the second floor fireplaces and hand-painted floor tiles while incorporating the conveniences of the 21st century including WiFi, air-conditioning and American appliances. The main house accommodates 6 in 3 spacious bedrooms. It also has 3 lounge/living areas which are perfect for entertaining. 2 more bedrooms are in the very private guest apartment which is under the pool.
Outside are 2 stone terraces for dining and entertaining (one has a mosaic tiled table seating 10-12) which have wonderful views of the Umbrian countryside. There is also a 23’ x 60’ infinity pool with a shaded bamboo pergola that also has magnificent views, shade and space for entertaining up to 50 guests and a 10-acre vineyard with Merlot and Sangiovese grapes. (The estate’s underground cantina stores roughly 4,000 bottles of wine and other fine things that are homemade at Podere Calzone, including Limoncello, Basilcello and Nochino. It’s also an ideal space for hosting private wine tastings.) A separate building has a wood-burning oven, a stone sink, plenty of work space and a large open grill. Podere Calzone offers a lifestyle that is magically pastoral in a glorious location just 25 minutes from Todi, the most beautiful town in Umbria.
- Entrance hall
- Living room with a fireplace and French doors opening the lawn
- Dining room with a table seating 12
- Breakfast room with French doors opening to both a covered and open terrace
- Wet bar with French doors opening to a terrace
- Family room with a fireplace
- Media room
- Kitchen with French doors opening to both a covered and open terrace
- Pantry and laundry room
- Powder room
- Master bedroom with a king-size bed, fireplace, dressing room and bathroom en suite with a tub, shower double sinks, toilet and bidet. French doors open to a private loggia that has a rain head shower and to another loggia, shared by the below bedroom, which has a small refrigerator and table with two chairs and a fabulous bed covered in pillows from Turkey. It overlooks the back terrace and the pool.
- Bedroom with a queen-size bed and bathroom en suite with tub, shower double sinks, toilet and bidet. French doors open to the loggia shared with the master bedroom.
- Bedroom with queen-size bed and a day bed (can be converted into two single beds or together as a king). It's great for kids and a nanny. Its bathroom en suite has a tub and a stall shower (with safety bar), double sinks, toilet and bidet.
- Bedroom with a queen-size bed and a day bed
- Bedroom with twin beds (can be made into a king) and small refrigerator
- Bathroom, which is shared by the bedrooms and located between them, with a large stall shower , 2 sinks, toilet and bidet. It also has air-conditioning and a ceiling fan.
WiFi throughout the house, outside by the pool and the guest house; all bedrooms have air-conditioning and ceiling fans; satellite TV; wet bar with icemaker; luxurious linens, towels and bathrobes; large refrigerator/freezer; separate ice maker; 6 burner ILVE gas top stove; 2 ILVE ovens; dishwasher; clothes washer; microwave/toaster; extensive library with CDs, DVDs, books and videos. The rent also includes laundry service and utilities with the exception of Christmas time when there is a surcharge for heat
“Beyond fantastic” cook who prepares breakfast and lunch, housekeeper and grounds man. All speak perfect English and work Monday – Friday from 9am – 3pm.
The cook is €20/hour for extra hours/dinner (if there are more than 6 people she would need an assistant to prep, serve and clean up who is €15/hour) and a masseuse at €75/hour inclusive of tip. Wine tastings can be arranged in the cantina.
Nearest large town, Marsciano, which has everything one needs like a great grocery, DIY and computer stores, butcher, baker, etc., is 8 mins., Todi is 25 mins. south and Perugia is 40 mins. north.