St. John, USVI
4 Bedrooms and 4.5 Bathrooms (Sleeps 8)
Surrounded by lush tropical landscaping and jungle, Rivendell is nestled into the lowest level of houses in exclusive Peter Bay. Once through the enclave’s front gates, the landscaping along the winding road down to the house is lovely. This wonderful and very private property has lots of charm – both inside and out – and beautiful views of Jost Van Dyke, Whistling Cay and Mary's Point. Designed to have one of the smallest and most discreet footprints in lower Peter Bay, Rivendell consists of two spacious houses with a wonderful infinity pool and a hot tub built into it with an overflow waterfall. Nearby is an entertainment pavilion with a round dining table and chairs, wet bar, stainless steel gas grill, an icemaker and a mini-fridge. Located below is an air-conditioned exercise room with a flat screen TV and DVD player, mirrors, dumbbells and mats. Also on the property is a rustic but well-maintained path that leads down to the palm lined and private Peter Bay Beach with its fine white sand and usually calm, clear blue water.
Connecting Rivendell's main house and the pool courtyard is a gourmet kitchen within a covered and screened-in dining area and sitting area with comfy chairs and ceiling fans. In the main house are the living room and two bedrooms and in the two-story cottage are two more equal-size bedrooms. Interiors throughout are very attractive and airy. The pretty living room is reminiscent of a Caribbean Great House with plantation style furniture, white upholstery and cushions, high ceilings with dropped ceiling fans, arched windows and three sets of French doors that, when open, bring the Caribbean in.
Rivendell’s North Shore location is surrounded by the VI National Park and just down the road are what many say are the most beautiful white sand beaches in the Caribbean including Caneel, Hawksnest, Gibney, Trunk, Cinnamon, Maho and Francis Bays. Rivendell is distinguished by its breathtaking sea views, lovely mature gardens with tiled walkways, terraces, native stonework throughout and complete privacy. About 10-minutes away is Cruz Bay, the charming town on the west side of St. John, which has many restaurants, shops, galleries and the ferry dock.
- Large, airy living room with a sitting area, games table and entertainment area
- Powder room
- Office area with a 4-in-1 printer and Wi-Fi throughout the property for laptops, fax machine and a laser printer
- Indoor/outdoor kitchen open on one side with counter seating, sliding screen windows, stainless steel appliances and under cabinet lighting
- Main dining area
- Sitting area
- Air-conditioned master bedroom with a queen-size four-poster bed, ocean views and French doors opening to a step-out balcony and bathroom en suite with a “partially alfresco” shower with a view
- Air-conditioned bedroom with twin beds located beside the master bedroom with ocean views and a private balcony
- Bathroom with a Jacuzzi tub set into an alcove and a bidet
- Air-conditioned bedroom with a queen-size bed and bathroom en suite with a “partially alfresco” shower with a view.
- Large windows on two sides overlook the pool, tropical gardens, palms and the ocean. French doors open to a private terrace.
- Air-conditioned bedroom with a queen-size bed, large windows overlooking the same view as the master and bathroom en suite with a “partially alfresco” shower with a view
40-inch flat-screen satellite TV in living room with movie and music channels, DVD/3-CD player, Sonos Wireless sound system in living room and out on pool terrace, iPod dock, CD player/radio in all bedrooms; books, games and game table, full A/C inside both houses; hair dryers, safe for valuables; screened windows; 2 Mosquito Magnets; some assorted snorkel gear, beach chairs and coolers; automatic generator; electronic gate into Peter Bay a manual garden gate into Rivendell's property; dishwasher and laundry
Maid service weekly
Extra maid service, cook or chef (either can also deliver meals), stocking the fridge, drop-off dinners for your arrival, starter packages for your first days on-island, massage, manicures and pedicures at the house and private yoga or Pilates instruction
- Children over 5 are welcome though a Child Liability Waiver must be signed for anyone under 13 years old.
- No smoking inside or pets, please.
- It’s a 5-minute walk down to the beach on a private path that has some rock stepping stones and no railings. Or you can drive down to the beach in a minute!