ST. BERNARD'S HILL HOUSE
5 Bedrooms and 6.5 Bathrooms (Sleeps 10)
5 night minimum except high season and holiday weeks (7 nights) and Christmas/New Year's (10 nights).
St. Bernard's Hill House offers serene seclusion in a very private, lush setting hidden behind an electronic gate. This fantastic property comes with one of the estate's excellent house chefs for lunch and dinner daily. St. Bernard's Hill House's lofty hilltop location has an amazing 300° view of the Virgin Islands and miles and miles of azure sea and sky. Cool tradewinds constantly waft through the 8 acres of tropical landscaping full of colorful bougainvillea, bird of paradise, tall palms and sea almond trees and across the generous verandas. This beautiful property consists of a gracious colonial Main House and four gingerbread-trimmed cottages and all of the air-conditioned bedrooms open to a veranda and are well situated for maximum privacy and water views. Each also has a flat-screen TV with a DVD player, iPod dock/radio/CD player, alarm clock, hair dryer, monogrammed bathrobes, beach bags for guests' use, a mini-fridge, microwave, safe for valuables and complimentary bathroom toiletries. Arched doorways in the Main House open out to a wonderful deep veranda on three sides that overlooks the Caribbean and the Atlantic. On the south side of this house are a small manicured lawn and a unique terrace with views of yachts below in Sopers Hole. A 18’ x 25’ infinity edge pool, which is heated, and tiled sun deck overlook Tortola's Long Bay Beach, Smuggler's Cove and the salt pond where pink flamingos are occasionally spotted. Just off the deck is a shaded alcove sitting area with a mini-fridge and a bathroom with a shower.
From front entrance of the Main House, a walkway meanders through lovely gardens to the Oriental Cottage, tucked just far enough away from the main residence. Adjacent to it is the Double Cottage. With its interior hallway, this house is perfect for parents and small children. Both emboia-wood verandas are connected at the front of Double Cottage for easy access to both suites. Next door is the charming Colonial Cottage.
Guests are very well cared for by the house's gracious and attentive staff. Smuggler's Cove Beach is a 5-minute drive down the hill and Long Bay Beach is nearby. Meticulous attention to detail is paid making guests feel like they are in a 5-star hotel. St. Bernard’s Hill House is truly marvelous from sunrise to sunset and into the balmy island night with its sparkling canopy of stars overhead. This property truly celebrates pampered indoor-outdoor island living in style.
- Great Room with seating and a dining room seating 10 with a wine fridge and mini-fridge in the sideboard
- Porch with various seating and al fresco dining areas, a bar and cushioned seating for watching the 42” flat-screen TV
- Air-conditioned study with 26” satellite TV and DVD player, LG PC computer with long-distance and printer/copier/scanner
- Powder room
- Large and sequestered master suite with a carved mahogany four-poster king-size bed, dressing room, West Indian antique desk and screened French doors that lead to the porch with a chaise longue for two and a sea view. A hallway leads from the bedroom to its spacious bathroom with a double vanity, big tiled shower and tub. Another hall leads into the Main House.
- Bedroom with a king-size bed (can be separated into twin beds with advance request), a roomy covered hardwood veranda that wraps around two sides of the cottage and a bath with large tiled shower, separate WC, washer/dryer, coffeemaker and microwave
- Bedroom with a king-size bed and bathroom en suite. Screened French doors open to a shaded L-shaped veranda.
- Bedroom with a king-size bed (can be separated into twin beds with advance request), tiled bathroom en suite and a veranda overlooking the marine activity below in Sopers Hole and St. John beyond. These two rooms are joined by an interior hallway.
- Bedroom with a four-poster queen-size bed, bathroom en suite, washer and dryer, coffeemaker, microwave, toaster and a wraparound veranda with chairs and tables overlooking expanses of ocean and green islets and cays
- Air-conditioned home gym with beautiful bamboo flooring and a Sole TT8 Treadmill, Sole E95 Elliptical Trainer (with heart monitors), Bowflex weight bench and assorted weights, Apex JD-3.1 Roman Chair by Impex, Weider Power Switch weight and dumbbell set (2.5-12.5 lb. barbells) with barbells, Perfect Pushup hand grips and 2 Weider exercise balls, yoga mats mirrors, 32" flat-screen TV, DVD player and iPod sound dock/CD player
Wi-Fi, air-conditioning and window screens in all bedrooms; air-conditioned study with PC with copier/scanner/printer; Bose Surround Sound and SONOS system for main house and veranda; books, games, movie and iPod music collections; iPod dock/alarm clock, hair dryers, flat screen TV’s/DVD players, safes. iPod docking stations with radio/CD player in all bedrooms; binoculars and telescope; gas grill; assorted snorkel gear; pool floats; electronic gate at estate's entrance; automatic generator, washer/dryer, children's playroom, wooden baby crib and dishwasher. Airport transfers are included. The owners currently haven't a boat but will deduct an amount off the rent each week to use towards hiring one if guests so wish.
Chef for continental breakfast, 2 course lunch, afternoon tea, hors d'oeuvres and 3 course dinner daily; Chris, the property manager, boat captain and PADI divemaster; 2 stewardess for serving drinks and meals; hotel-type maid service seven days per week plus evening turn-down service and gardener
Personal laundry, car rental and spa services at the house. Fine wines and champagnes can be ordered and will be at the house for your arrival. A boat, which Chris will captain, can be chartered by the day or week. SCUBA gear may be arranged for qualified divers and Chris can arrange for the local dive company to take guests on an underwater SCUBA tour.
- Chris lives nearby but is completely out of sight. He is just a phone call away should you need him.
- No smoking indoors, please.
- A 15% staff tip is added to all rentals.
- A four-wheel drive vehicle is strongly recommended due to the steep paved road which can be slippery when it's raining.
- Smuggler's Cove Beach is a quick drive down the hill (about 7 minutes).