6 Bedrooms and 5 Bathrooms in the Main House (Sleeps 12)
2 Bedrooms with Bathrooms En Suite in the Guest House (Sleeps 4)
Abbadia Elisabetta is a magnificently restored 11th Century abbey, located in the most beautiful part of Tuscany just south of Siena. The history of this imposing stone house, which was featured in Architectural Digest, can be traced back at least 1000 years. The abbey became a post house during the middle ages when the medieval pilgrim route, the Via Francegena, passed through the estate. It is set on a peaceful hillside of olive groves and vineyards overlooking nearby Montalcino the home of the famous Brunello wine. Also on this beautiful 37 acre property is the most charming chapel, and outdoor wood burning oven and a wonderful 30' x 40' green marble pool, which is surrounded by formal rose gardens.
Abbadia Elisabetta has been restored with great taste and style and is both elegant and comfortable. It combines lovely Italian antiques with all the modern amenities including American-made beds, overhead fans in all bedrooms and pull down screens on windows. The bathrooms have also been renovated with travertine marble and wood detailing and each bathtub sits in front of a window overlooking the lovely countryside and olive groves. The property is beautifully lit at night.
- Entrance Hall with medieval stone flooring
- Large primary entertaining area with living and dining areas, tall columns, a grand fireplace and 6 dramatic French doors opening onto terraces
- State of the art kitchen with area for grilling, opening onto a terrace
- Small bedroom with a queen-size bed and bathroom en suite with a shower
(reached by travertine marble stairs or by a spiral iron staircase)
- Large living room with high ceilings, immense medieval fireplace and large dining area
- Fully equipped state of the art kitchen
- Master suite with a separate sitting area, canopied queen-sized bed and bathroom with a bathtub and shower. It's also air-conditioned.
- Bedroom with a queen-size bed and bathroom en suite with both a tub and shower
- Bedroom with a queen-size bed and a separate small dressing room with a door to a bathroom with a tub and shower shared with the below bedroom.
- Bedroom with twin beds and a separate small dressing room with a door into the above bathroom
- Loft bedroom with twin beds. It's bathroom has a shower only. A good room for older children.
- Living room dining area, kitchen, loggia and terrace
- Bedroom with a queen-size bed and bathroom en suite with a shower only
- Bedroom with twin beds and bathroom en suite with a shower only
Screens on all windows, 5 portable A/C units, American-made beds, central heat and under floor heating, fax machine, Internet access, satellite TV, DVD and VCR players, iPod sound dock, stereo and ceiling fans
Two maids, three hours daily except Sundays. They arrive in the morning and prepare and serve a continental breakfast which is included in the rent. There is also a very nice, English speaking property manager.
Telephone and fax charges and heating
Cook and extra maid service
San Quirico d'Orcia: 4 minutes, Pienza and Montalcino: 10 minutes, Buonconvento: 15 minutes, Siena: 30 minutes, Florence: 2 hours, Rome: 2.5 hours